In The Theory of Everything, the main character, Sophie Sophia, makes lists. How to survive a new town, a visit to the principal’s office, boys, and yes – shaman pandas. But since they’re kind of a new concept, how do you know when you have one? I asked Sophie, and she made this list exclusively for this blog. May it help you with your own shaman panda challenges. (Tee-hee.)
1. Food starts disappearing. Especially take-out.
2. When your mom hugs you, it feels like nothing. Why are her arms so small?
3. You find bits of chewed bamboo on the floor.
4. What’s that on the couch? Oh! A PANDA BUTT IMPRINT.
5. Things – well, some things – start making sense.
7. Your black and white tights mean more than ever.
8. And deep down, where no one can see, you feel calmer. Like someone’s on your side. Guardian angel, sans the wings. (Unless they’re chicken wings, of course.)
Sophie Sophia is obsessed with music from the late eighties. She also has an eccentric physicist father who sometimes vanishes for days and sees things other people don’t see. But when he disappears for good and Sophie’s mom moves them from Brooklyn, New York, to Havencrest, Illinois, for a fresh start, things take a turn for the weird. Sophie starts seeing things, like marching band pandas, just like her dad.
Guided by Walt, her shaman panda, and her new (human) friend named Finny, Sophie is determined to find her father and figure out her visions, once and for all. So she travels back to where it began—New York City and NYU’s physics department. As she discovers more about her dad’s research on M-theory and her father himself, Sophie opens her eyes to the world’s infinite possibilities—and her heart to love.
Kari Luna is a teen novelist and whimsicologist. Her YA debut, The Theory of Everything, combines string theory, 80′s mixtapes and shaman pandas in one book without making you dizzy. Almost. Oh! And it’s available now. Watch the awesome video below! And find Kari, here: www.kariluna.com tweet: @wordette tumblr: blog.kariluna.com
If you had a shaman panda, what would you ask him to do? Answer in the comments and be entered to win this super cute TTOE Poster and Button Pack!
|Click to enlarge|
|Click to enlarge|
Continue the tour – and get tips from Sophie on what to do when your Mom controls the car radio – Tuesday, July 16th, at The Modge Podge Bookshelf.